So we got the notice…’no school’ tomorrow. This is the third day in four since the holiday break ended that our daughters school had to close because of snow or cold. So what is a parent to do? Luckily, the last couple of days have been so bad that there is a driving ban on in the county (first since the great blizzard of 77) so we can go anywhere even if we had to and we can stay with our child and enjoy the snow daze with her. Here are some of the things we have been able to enjoy and perhaps it will give you some ideas.
1. Catch-up on our sleep. The holidays and death of my daughters grandfather have left us pretty exhausted. It is also good for my daughters rest since she seemed ready to catch a cold or flu. Today she slept in until 9:30 and looks great again
2. Complete the homework package for the week
3. Read together
4. Do puzzles both at home and when we visit our daughters recently windowed grandmom…that is when we can get out of the driveway!
5. Work on math skills. For my daughter in 1st grade it is coins and column math. She has learned a great deal in two days already! There are loads of great resources on the web. My favorite is Dad’s Math Worksheets.
6. Play with holiday gifts
7. Put away some decorations
8. Make cookies…healthy one of course
9. Look out the window as 3 feet of snow has fallen in the last 24 hours
10. Watch some BBC dinosaur videos
11. Do the laundry
12. Make hot cocoa
13. Work on her spelling and writing skills
Happy Snow Daze!